The Clinical Features in Patients with Orthophoria over Three Years after Surgery of Exotropia.

Sang Jin Kim1
Estimated H-index: 1
,
Dong Gyu Choi1
Estimated H-index: 1
Sources
Abstract
Purpose: To investigate clinical features in patients with orthophoria over three years after surgical correction of intermittent exotropia. Methods: Sex, age at onset and surgery, preoperative and postoperative angles of ocular deviation, type of surgery, associated disorders, and preoperative and postoperative binocular sensory status were retrospectively investigated in 27 patients with orthophoria or ocular deviation under 8 prism diopters (PD) at least three years after surgical correction of intermittent exotropia. Results: The mean age at surgery was 5.3±4.8 years (range, 2 to 27 years). Ten patients (37.0%) were younger than four at the time of the operation, while 17 (63.0%) were four or older. The mean size of the preoperative exodeviation at distance and near was 27.4±7.3PD (range, 15 to 45PD) and 28.2±8.5PD (range, 12 to 50PD), respectively. On the first postoperative day, 7 patients (26.0%), 13 patients (48.1%), 6 patients (22.2%), and 1 patient (3.7%) showed esophoria (9 to 15PD), esophoria (under 8PD), orthophoria, exophoria (under 8PD), respectively. Twenty-two patients (81.5%) developed orthophoria within 2 months after surgery. After three years following the operation, 16 patients (59.3%) had developed orthophoria, while 11 patients (40.7%) showed exophoria within 8PD. Conclusions: At the first postoperative day, most patients (74.1%) were overcorrected, while the rest (25.9%) were either undercorrected or orthophoric. Our investigation showed that patients not initially overcorrected can maintain good results. None of the patients had an A or V pattern of strabismus or dissociated vertical deviation with exodeviation before surgery.
📖 Papers frequently viewed together
10 Citations
4 Citations
References0
Newest
Cited By2
Newest
#1Kim MkH-Index: 1
#2Ungsoo Samuel KimH-Index: 9
Last. Seung-Hee BaekH-Index: 8
view all 4 authors...
Purpose: To evaluate and compare surgical outcomes with respect to refractive errors in strabismus surgery for the treatment of intermittent exotropia (IXT).The medical records of patients with IXT who were treated by one surgeon from January 2005 and June 2011 were reviewed. Three hundred and thirty-three IXT patients were included and divided into three groups according to preoperative refractive error: IXT with hyperopia (group I), IXT with emmetropia (group II), and IXT with myopia (group II...
7 CitationsSource
#1Soo Chang Cho (SNU: Seoul National University)H-Index: 1
#2Hee Kyung Yang (New Generation University College)H-Index: 18
Last. Jeong Min Hwang (SNU: Seoul National University)H-Index: 20
view all 3 authors...
5 CitationsSource